Kamloops wildifire classified as ‘being held’

Despite the low wildfire danger rating in British Columbia, a grass fire has broken out west of Kamloops.

The fire, which was reported Tuesday evening, is up the hill near the Cinnamon Ridge compost facility.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more: North Okanagan regional district to oversee, maintain Sandy Beach

Two dozen firefighters responded to the blaze, according to BC Wildfire Service.

CFJC News said initial reports suggest the fire was caused by an electrical transformer exploding.

Read more: Guests welcome, says Tourism Kelowna, but research recommended before visiting Okanagan

BC Wildfire Services said the blaze is estimated to be just over three hectares in size and is currently classified as being held.

Story continues below advertisement

–with files from CFJC News

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.