Porto scored in the first minute of each half to edge ahead in their Champions League tie against Juventus.
Mehdi Taremi pounced on Rodrigo Bentancur’s poor back pass to slide in and convert after only 63 seconds.
Juventus were being outplayed but Adrien Rabiot saw an acrobatic effort pushed away, and Moussa Marega stroked home 19 seconds into the second half.
But Federico Chiesa pulled a goal back on 82 minutes heading into the return leg of the last-16 tie on 9 March.
Chiesa goal could be crucial
Juventus have dominated Serie A, winning the title for the past nine years, but Andrea Pirlo’s side are off the pace this season at home and could not come to terms with an energetic and lively Porto outfit either.
The Portuguese champions pressed from the first whistle and got an immediate reward as Bentancur’s pass under pressure fell short of Wojciech Szczesny allowing Iran international striker Taremi to sneak in and score.
The second half started in similarly calamitous fashion, Wilson Manafa picking out Marega unmarked eight yards out to slip home a finish at the near post.
Porto, winners of the competition under Jose Mourinho in 2004, last reached the quarter-finals two seasons ago and were strong favourites to reach the last eight with eight minutes remaining.
But although Cristiano Ronaldo was kept quiet, Italy international Chiesa broke from midfield and side-footed in a neat finish to give Juventus an important away goal.
Chiesa ends Ronaldo’s knockout run – the stats
- Porto secured their first competitive victory against Juventus in European competition, having failed to win any of their first five encounters with them (D1 L4).
- Porto picked up just their second victory in their past 10 knockout matches in the Champions League, having lost seven of their previous nine before tonight.
- Juventus have lost three of their past four Champions League knockout matches (W1), as many as in their previous 14 such games combined (W8 D3 L3).
- Federico Chiesa was the first player, other than Cristiano Ronaldo, to score for Juventus in a Champions League knockout stage match since Blaise Matuidi in April 2018 (quarter-finals against Real Madrid).
- Mehdi Taremi’s goal after 61 seconds was the quickest scored in the Champions League knockout stages since David Alaba for Bayern vs Juventus in April 2013 (24 seconds).
- Taremi became the fifth Iranian to score in the Champions League (Ali Daei, Mehdi Mahdavikia, Ali Karimi, Sardar Azmoun) and the first to do so in the knockout stages.
- Juventus named their youngest starting XI in a Champions League knockout match (27y 122d) since the 1997-98 final v Real Madrid (26y 353d).
- 18Manafá Jancó
- 17JM CoronaSubstituted forLoumat 90+1′minutes
- 27OliveiraSubstituted forConceiçãoat 90+1′minutes
- 25OtávioSubstituted forDíazat 57′minutes
- 11MaregaSubstituted forGrujicat 66′minutes
- 21Silva Baró
- 23Neto Lopes
- 28Felipe Anderson
- 30de Lima Barbosa
- 31Chipela Gomes
- 99Meireles Costa
- 13DaniloBooked at 81mins
- 4de LigtBooked at 63mins
- 3ChielliniSubstituted forDemiralat 35′minutesBooked at 87mins
- 12Lobo SilvaBooked at 90mins
- 14McKennieSubstituted forMorataat 63′minutes
- 44KulusevskiSubstituted forRamseyat 77′minutes
- 7Cristiano Ronaldo
- 36Di Pardo
- Carlos del Cerro Grande
Match ends, FC Porto 2, Juventus 1.
Second Half ends, FC Porto 2, Juventus 1.
Adrien Rabiot (Juventus) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Foul by Francisco Conceição (FC Porto).
Alex Sandro (Juventus) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul.
Foul by Alex Sandro (Juventus).
Mehdi Taremi (FC Porto) wins a free kick in the attacking half.
Attempt blocked. Álvaro Morata (Juventus) right footed shot from outside the box is blocked. Assisted by Adrien Rabiot.
Substitution, FC Porto. Mamadou Loum replaces Corona.
Substitution, FC Porto. Francisco Conceição replaces Sérgio Oliveira.
Merih Demiral (Juventus) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul.
Foul by Merih Demiral (Juventus).
Luis Díaz (FC Porto) wins a free kick on the left wing.
Corner, FC Porto. Conceded by Merih Demiral.
Foul by Alex Sandro (Juventus).
Corona (FC Porto) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Attempt saved. Álvaro Morata (Juventus) right footed shot from the centre of the box is saved in the centre of the goal. Assisted by Aaron Ramsey with a through ball.
Goal! FC Porto 2, Juventus 1. Federico Chiesa (Juventus) right footed shot from the centre of the box to the bottom left corner. Assisted by Adrien Rabiot with a cross.
Danilo (Juventus) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul.
Dangerous play by Danilo (Juventus).